Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati Public Statement on Immigration:
We, Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati, support the pastoral letter of Catholic Bishops of Mexico and the United States, Strangers Together on the Journey, which acknowledges that the current immigration system cries out for change.
We recognize the rights of all our immigrant/refugee sisters and brothers. We believe the resolution of immigration/refugee issues must be viewed through the lens of economic analysis. Therefore, we call for change in unjust immigration policies and unfair trade agreements by our nation, and we will continue our direct outreach to immigrants and refugees. (2007)
Immigration Statement of the Vincentian Family Social Justice Representatives:
We, the social justice representatives of the Vincentian Family of North America, endorse and commit to promote the following principles* for Immigration Reform:
- Preserve and ensure family unity as a corner-stone of our national immigration system
- Safeguard the rights of immigrant workers, including the restoration of due process and humane practices to our immigration enforcement policies
- Acknowledge that our borders are already secure and require only minor changes
- Foster prompt and efficient processing of already-approved immigrant
- Enhance the present diversity visa program for migrants to receive permanent residency
- Provide legal channels for low-skilled immigrant workers to come and work in the U.S.
- Provide a clear and direct pathway to citizenship for undocumented persons in the U.S.
- Address the core causes of migration, such as persecution and economic disparity
* Principles derived from statements on Immigration Reform by the following groups:
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, Justice for Immigrants
- NETWORK, A National Catholic Social Justice Lobby
The social justice representatives of the Vincentian Family of North America include:
- Congregation of the Mission, Eastern and Western Provinces
- Daughters of Charity, Provinces of St. Louise and the West
- Ladies of Charity USA
- Sisters of Charity Federation NGO
- Sisters of Charity Federation office
- Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati, OH
- Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, KY
- Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, KS
- Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill, PA
- Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy, SC
- Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, N
- Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth, NJ
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul USA
The Women Who Pick Your Food (posted 6/14/12)
A good description of what is happening to women immigrants was published in Commonweal magazine.
To view article ...