Comboni Events Calendar
The following listings are provided by Comboni IJPIC Network.
- July 9-18, 2018: High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development: Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies will be held at the United Nations. The set of goals to be reviewed in depth will be the following, including Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development, that will be considered each year:
- Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Goal 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
Learn more and keep abreast, here.
- July 10-14, 2018: The 5th American Missionary Congress (CAM V) and the 10th Latin American Missionary Congress (COMLA 10) will be held in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia.
GREATER CINCINNATI AREA
- July 22, 2018: Celebration of Mary of Magdala's Feast Day: Her Fire Continues Within Us will take place at the Sisters of Charity Motherhouse Chapel, beginning with a Prayer Service at 2 pm. This is located at 5900 Delhi Road, Mount Saint Joseph, OH 45051. The service will be followed by a reception in the Motherhouse dining room. This is a free event. Contact: Debbie Weber, Director Office of Peace, Justice and Care for Creation at firstname.lastname@example.org. All are welcome!
- July 10, 2018: Business and Human Rights: Progress in Addressing Modern Slavery in Asian Supply Chains will be presented by Sean Lees, Business and Human Rights Specialist at the Schiff Conference Center of Cintas Center at xavier University. A reception starts off the evening at 5:30 pm; then dinner at 6:15 pm followed by the presentation and discussion from 7-8:30 pm. Mr. Lees, a Cincinnati native, works in New York at the U.N. at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) covering Asia-Pacific, and has specifically worked on issues in Afghanistan, Iraq, Figi, Sudan, Thailand and Uzbekistan. He'll talk about the 45 million+ victims of modern slavery working across agricultural, electronics, garment and other industries. Only greater collaboration between businesses, government and communities can lead the change in Asia. This talk will focus on the structural and political forces driving these abuses. RSVP to Heather Slais at email@example.com call her at (513) 651-6111, or Cynthia Cummins at (513) 745-3922.
- July 11, 2018: Meet the Missionaries Night, an annual event to welcome and hear from the Comboni Missionaries who are visiting North America to preach throughout the summer. It all takes place in the theater at the Anderson Center, 7850 Five Mile Road (45230), a mile from the Mission Center, beginning at 7 pm. Come get a taste of mission life, especially in Africa and Latin America. All are welcome! For more information, contact (513) 474-4997.
- July 12, 2018: Columbus Crossing Borders Reception and Film takes place from 5:30-8 pm at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, 50 E.Freedom Way, downtown Cincinnati. Experience a visual tribute to the resilience, strength, and courage of refugees in the traveling exhibit, Columbss Crossing Borders. Learn how Catholic Charities assists refugees building new lives and immigrant families separated through detention and deportation. The reception begins at 5:30 pm, followed by a 6:30 pm viewing of the film, Breathe Free. After the film, there will be a brief update on refugee resettlement and immigrant challenges. Bring a friend. It is free. Contact: Kelly Anchrum at (513) 672-3702 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- July 12, 2018: Health Days at Su Casa Hispanic Center, San Carlos Church, 7036 Fairpark Ave., Cincinnati, OH 45216. It runs from noon-3 pm. Freestore Foodbank will donate food! Mammography services will be provided for women between 40-64 years. Please call (513) 672-3731 for more information.
- July 16-18, 2018: Promoting Just & Inclusive Communities in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana, hosted by the Center for Migration Studies (New York City) and several immigration organizations, will take place at the Cintas Center of Xavier University, 1624 Herald Ave. (Cincinnati, OH 45207). It will examine how diverse groups in these states work together to meet the needs of immigrant communities. More information is available at http://cmsny.org/event/cincinnati-july2018/.
- July 22, 2018: Celebration of Mary of Magdala's Feast Day: Her Fire Continues Within Us will take place at the Sisters of Charity Motherhouse Chapel, beginning with a Prayer Service at 2 pm, followed by refreshments and fellowship in the Motherhouse dining room at 3 pm. The Guest Reflector is Tanya Torres, a world renowned artist and writer, known for her Mary Magdalene paintings. The Motherhouse is located at 5900 Delhi Road, Mount Saint Joseph, OH 45051. There is no fee but please bring a donation of school supplies for St. Boniface School in Northside to help serve children in that community. Contact: Debbie Weber, Director Office of Peace, Justice and Care for Creation at email@example.com.
- July 31, 2018: Intercommunity Justice & Peace Center Immigration Learning Community takes place at IJPC, 215 E. 14th Street (45202) at 6:30 pm/ Knowledge is power. Learn the facts and the history of our immigration system. July's meeting will focus on the refugee resettlement process and how U.S. foreign policy affects local resettlement efforts. Co-sponsored by Refugee Connect. Please RSVP to samantha@IJPCcincinnati.org, or call (513) 579-8547.
- August 21-26, 2018: World Meeting of Families in Dublin, Ireland. More info, pending. Southwest Ohio friends: A trip is being planned. Keep abreast at http://www.worldmeeting2018.ie/en/. Contact Colleen Gerke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- August 20-23, 2018: Provincial Council Meeting (Comboni Missionaries) in Kitchener.
- August 25, 2018: Comboni Fest. Join us for an evening of celebration and worship. Comboni Fest starts with a beautiful out door Mass held on the grounds of the Mission Center. After Mass, browse the silent auction basket table & Comboni table, take a chance at split the pot, and enjoy music and dancing. There will be a pig roast and a tiki bar! Admission is free and there will be plenty of games, crafts and face painting for the kids. Event is from 3-8 p.m., Comboni Mission Center LGP, 1615 E. 31st Street, La Grange Park, IL 60526
GREATER CINICNNATI AREA
- August 12-18, 2018: Sisters of Charity Spirituality Center Conference: Awakening Consciousness, led by Jan Novotka, an internationally known retreat facilitator, and Marie Larkin, a spiritual director and teacher of "Art and Spirituality." There is an evolutionary shift occurring at the level of consciousness. Exploring both traditional spirituality and modern scientific insights, this retreat provides the ground work for understanding this new dimension of consciousness. For additional information, including fees, please call (513) 347-5449 or email email@example.com.
- August 15, 2018: Debate on U.S. Foreign Policy will be held at the Schiff Center at Xavier University, led by two leading experts of differing political persuasion. More information, pending. RSVP to Heather Slais at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at (513) 651-6111, or Cynthia Cummins at (513) 745-3922.
- August 28, 2018: Taste of Mission: Bringing His Mission to All meeting for volunteers will take place at the Comboni Mission Center at 6 pm. The Taste is October 6, see below! Contact: Heather Kaufman, Development Director, (513) 474-4997; email@example.com.
- September 12-14, 2018: Global Climate Action Summit: Taking Ambition to the Next Level. The 2018 Summit will bring people together from around the world to showcase climate action and inspire deeper commitments from national governments, and each other, in support of the Paris Agreement. This will take place in San Francisco, CA. Find out more, here.
- September 14-16, 2018: Africa Faith & Justice Network 35th Anniversary and Meeting: Advocacy and Education for Transformation will take place in Washington, D.C. On the 14th, "Africa in Global Perspective," sponsored by the Missionaries of Africa, a founding member of AFJN, is the main public event/conference that runs from 10 am-4 pm.. Keep abreast at www.afjn.org.
GREATER CINICNNATI AREA
- September 6, 2018: Solve Poverty to Solve Hunger, hosted by Catholic Charities SW Ohio, begins at 5:30 pm and runs about two hours at the Cintas Center, Xavier University. There is no charge for this reception and talk. Andrew Fisher, author of Big Hunger: The Unholy Alliance Between Corporate America and Anti-Hunger Groups, argues that many anti-hunger advocates miss an essential element of the problem: economic inequality driven by low wages. Come learn about Big Hunger's vision. Contact: Kelly Anchrum at (513) 672-3702; firstname.lastname@example.org. Even though the event is free, a reservation is required. The website is www.ccswoh.org where you can link to Events and RSVP.
- October 25-27, 2018: 2018 United States Catholic Mission Association (USCMA) Conference will take place in Boston, Massachusetts. Save the date! Watch for news, here.
- November 9-11, 2018: Call to Action National Conference 2018: Sanctuary - Resistance - Sacrament takes place at the Wyndham San Antonio Riverwalk in San Antonio, Texas. Since 1976, Call to Action has been the host of the largest conference of progressive Catholics in the United States. Keep abreast, here. November 13-16, 2018: Provincial Council Meeting (Comboni Missionaries) in Los Angeles. 2019
- October 19, 2019: Synod on the Pan-Amazon Region.