Comboni Events Calendar
The following listings are provided by Comboni IJPIC Network.
[April 2018 Vol.22, No.4 Calendar]
- May-June, 2018: Rift Valley Annual Field Courses 2018 are the best to be had for a thorough, up-to-date knowledge on these three nations: Sudan and South Sudan (May 20-25); the Horn of Africa (May 27-June 1) and the Great Lakes (June 3-8). All three courses will take place in Sagana, Kenya. Read more, here and get the applications forms, here.
- May 4, 2018: Webinar: Energy Democracy, 1:15 pm - 2:45 pm, sponsored by Security and Sustainability Forum (SSF) and Island Press. Denise Fairchild, co-editor of Energy Democracy, will lead the webinar, and additional panelists will be announced. Learn more about how climate and the environmental impacts are particularly magnified and debilitating for low-income communities and communities of color. They often live closest to toxic sites, are disproportionately impacted by higher incidences of asthma, cancer and rates of morbidity and mortality, and lack the financial resources to build resilience to climate change. Register for the free webinar, here.
- May 21-25, 2018: Provincial Council Meeting (Comboni Missionaries) in Chicago.
- May 22-24, 2018: Voices of Conscience Conference at the University of Notre Dame's Hesburgh Center in Notre Dame, Indiana. Confirmed participants in the conference include Madame Ton-Nu-Thi Ninh of the Ho Chi Minh City Development & Peace Foundation; Michael McPhearson, executive director of Veterans for Peace; scholars David Cortright and Ann Mische of the Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies and many others. The program will include literary readings and film presentations as well as panel discussions. For more informaton, contact David Cortright at David.B.Cortright.email@example.com.
U.N. Programme on Action on Small Arms and Light Weapons at the United Nations, NYC. This is the third review conference. Stay tuned!
- June 10-13, 2018: A Hunger for Wholeness: Exploring the Inner-Outer Universe is a seminar featuring Ilia Delio, OSF with John F. Haught and Heidi Russell. It will take place at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN. Sr. Ilia will examine the need for spiritual alignment with nature in an age of digital distractions. The other two speakers will address God's love acting in a world of dynamic change. Come enjoy the seminar, meals, fellowship, liturgies and optional evening activities to nurture mind, body, and spirit. A $50 deposit will reserve your seat. There is an early bird discount if full amount is paid by May 15. Visit http://saintmarys.edu/Spirituality to get all the details and to register online.
GREATER CINCINNATI AREA
- June 15, 2018: Midwest Regional Sustainability Summit: Resilience: Public-Private Partnerships for a Dynamic Future will take place at the Schiff Conference Center/Cintas Center at Xavier University in Cincinnati. This year, the summit features Dr. Katharine Hayhoe, keynote speaker, a prominent climate scientist experienced in untangling the complex science and tackling many long-held misconceptions about global warming. Director of the Climate Science Center at Texas Tech University, Hayhoe's current focus is on modeling regional to local impacts of climate change, and how we can fix this together using many of the solutions already in our backyards. She will also participate in a plenary session with Resilience Officers from peer Regions who are taking part in the Rockefeller Foundation's 100 Resilient Cities program. There will be an awards ceremony and breakout sessions and workshops. Topics for these include sustainable business practices, emerging opportunities in green jobs, food waste reduction, local food access, green infrastructure for stormwater management, the Green Cincinnati Plan and efforts to prepare our region for changes in climate and weather patterns. Click here.
- June 24, 2018: Cincinnati Festival of Faiths will be held at the Cintas Center at Xavier University from 1-5 pm to showcase Cincinnati's religious diversity, celebrate various religions' contributions to our community's quality of life, develop our community's exemplary interfaith relations and collaboration, and build and enhance interfaith unity. It's free but you are asked to register, https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cincinnati-festival-of-faiths-tickets-42282332595.
- July 9-18, 2018: High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development: Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societieswill be held at the United Nations. The set of goals to be reviewed in depth will be the following, including Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development, that will be considered each year:
- Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Goal 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
- July 10-14, 2018: The 5th American Missionary Congress (CAM V) and the 10th Latin American Missionary Congress (COMLA 10) will be held in Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia.
GREATER CINCINNATI AREA
- July 11, 2018: Meet the Missionaries Night will welcome several Comboni Missionaries who serve in countries throughout Africa. They will tell stories of their work in Africa and educate the audience on how St. Daniel Comboni’s mission to save Africa is being fulfilled. Audience members are encouraged to ask questions. Stay after for refreshments and a chance to speak to our missionaries one-on-one. 7-9 p.m., Anderson Center, 7850 Five Mile Road, Cincinnati, OH 45230 Learn more here.
- August 21-26, 2018: World Meeting of Families in Dublin, Ireland. More info, pending. Southwest Ohio friends: A trip is being planned. Keep abreast at http://www.worldmeeting2018.ie/en/. Contact Colleen Gerke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- August 20-23, 2018: Provincial Council Meeting (Comboni Missionaries) in Kitchener.
- August 25, 2018: Comboni Fest. Join us for an evening of celebration and worship. Comboni Fest starts with a beautiful out door Mass held on the grounds of the Mission Center. After Mass, browse the silent auction basket table & Comboni table, take a chance at split the pot, and enjoy music and dancing. There will be a pig roast and a tiki bar! Admission is free and there will be plenty of games, crafts and face painting for the kids. Event is from 3-8 p.m., Comboni Mission Center LGP, 1615 E. 31st Street, La Grange Park, IL 60526
- October 25-27, 2018: 2018 United States Catholic Mission Association (USCMA) Conference will take place in Boston, Massachusetts. Save the date! Watch for news, here.
- November 9-11, 2018: Call to Action National Conference 2018: Sanctuary - Resistance - Sacrament takes place at the Wyndham San Antonio Riverwalk in San Antonio, Texas. Since 1976, Call to Action has been the host of the largest conference of progressive Catholics in the United States. Keep abreast, here. November 13-16, 2018: Provincial Council Meeting (Comboni Missionaries) in Los Angeles. 2019
- October 19, 2019: Synod on the Pan-Amazon Region.